A series of 8 weekly evening classroom based winter lectures. Covers the basic theory and equipment required, the life cycle of the honeybee and the work involved over the beekeeping season and a lot more. Start date Monday 9th January 2017. Venue Esher college, 7-9pm, half term break 20th February. If spaces are available the course can be booked separately for anyone with a general interest in bees.
Covering all aspects of good practice beekeeping husbandry, including handling of bees and hive management, the basic topics of hygiene, handling a hive tool, lighting a smoker and opening a hive. The course consists of 8 weeks of structured lectures and practical sessions, followed by a complete season of practical sessions. We expect course participants to come for the whole season to experience a complete cycle in looking after bees, perform an extraction and learn how to prepare colonies for the winter.
Advice and assistance to buy a hive and queen and set up own colony.
An introduction to the beekeeper’s examinations (optional).
Start date Saturday 22nd April 2017 Venue Hampton Court Apiary, 2-4pm
1) Book both parts and become an Associate member of Kingston Beekeepers – cost £120 (+ £21* if you require monthly BeeCraft) magazine.
2) If you know you are going to get your own bees next year (after the course) book both parts and become a Full Registered member now for total of £163. This also enrols you with British Beekeeping Association (BBKA), Surrey Beekeepers Association (SBKA), insurance on your first 3 hives, monthly BBKA News, monthly BeeCraft* magazine and invitations to various educational and social events.
3) Book Theory part only for £50
4) If you are an existing KBKA member total cost for both parts will be £100
* Discount of £6pa for digital version of BeeCraft.
Please note that we are at capacity on our club apiary site and if you get your own bees/hive(s) it will be down to you to find a suitable site – we can advise. That is not to say that KBKA might not find suitable site(s) in the future but don’t rely on it.
To book your place please email.